Previous Revision: April 30, 2020 Revised: September 12, 2023 Council Approval: October 10, 2023 Effective: December 1, 2023
The following Code of Conduct shall apply to any passenger, patron, and/or citizen accessing any of the Winston-Salem Transit Authority’s transit facilities; vehicles and/ or property.
The Winston-Salem Transit Authority (WSTA) is committed to providing safe and reliable transit services to every individual who utilizes the Transportation Center (TC), Administrative Facility, Maintenance Facility and Vehicles.
In an effort to maintain “Safety First” inside and outside of all facilities and vehicles, the Winston-Salem Transit Authority has established the following Code of Conduct and it shall be enforced by the managing contracted staff, security firm up to and including the Local Law Enforcement officers.
The Winston-Salem Transit Authority has adopted a policy of zero tolerance for violence. Threats, threatening behavior, or acts of violence against employees or citizens by anyone will not be tolerated.
Transportation Center, Administrative/Maintenance Facility Rules and Guidelines
1. Do not block the Transportation Center doors.
2. All passengers and patrons entering the TC, must enter through the metal detectors located at the bus bay entrance(s) and are subject to be searched by the Contracted Security Officers and/ or Law Enforcement.
3. No tampering with any company equipment including, but not limited to, metal detectors, fire extinguishers, signage, ticket vending machines etc.
4. Headphones must be used when operating any radio or audio devices.
5. Use of abusive, vulgar, obscene, or profane language is prohibited.
6. Weapons concealed or otherwise are prohibited in the Transportation Center, the administrative facility and the maintenance facility and/or on the premises surrounding all facilities including parking lots.
7. No fighting, communicating threats, or disorderly conduct.
8. No soliciting: No citizen(s) are permitted to request money and/or other services from other patrons and/or contracted staff while on the premises.
9. No loitering: All persons inside and/or outside the TC must have a valid WSTA, PART, or authorized Transit Provider bus ticket or transfer in order to remain at the TC unless the patron can provide proof that they have a transit service need(s) at that time.
10. Individuals who have been banned from the Transit Center may be subject to criminal trespassing charges without a pre-approved purpose for being on the property during the ban period.
11. Children under the age of 11 must be accompanied by a supervising adult.
12. No running or horseplay in the transit center, or on any WSTA vehicle.
13. Smoking is only allowed in the designated areas. This includes electric cigarettes and vape cartridges.
14. No littering: Trash must be disposed of using the appropriate trash cans.
15. Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times.
16. The possession and/or consumption of an open container of alcohol, or illegal drugs inside the Transportation Center or on its surrounding premises is prohibited.
17. No Pets are allowed inside the TC, Administrative and Maintenance Facilities. Service animals are permitted in compliance with ADA regulations.
18. All patrons must enter the Transportation Center through the main entrance. If a patron allows another patron to enter into the center back any other access, they will be found in violation of the Code of Conduct policy and subject to a temporary ban from the center.
Transit Policies While riding WSTA vehicles: Buses, Vans and Support Vehicles
1. Use respectful language and behavior towards other passengers and vehicle operators.
2. Don’t interfere with the operation of a vehicle.
3. Do not cross the driver barrier line when the bus is in operation.
4. Passengers must be fully clothed with shirt and shoes while traveling on the WSTA buses.
5. No panhandling and soliciting.
6. No spitting, urinating, defecating or exposing one’s body inside or outside of WSTA vehicles.
7. No engaging in inappropriate sexual behavior including direct or indirect comments or physical contact.
8. No threats of any kind (including verbal or nonverbal gestures) toward another person, bus operator, or company employee.
9. No physical violence, intimidation and/or harassment toward another person, bus operator, or company employee.
10. Smoking and /or vaping is not allowed on any WSTA vehicle.
11. No participation in illegal activity or criminal activity
12. No use, consumption or transportation of any open alcoholic beverage on any WSTA property, vehicle or facility, including WSTA bus stops and Park & Ride Lots.
13. No use, consumption or transportation of any illegal drugs on any WSTA property, vehicle or facility, including WSTA bus stops and Park & Ride Lots.
14. Transit drivers will deny transportation to any patron displaying public intoxication.
15. No possession or use of weapons, explosives, such as fire crackers, or other hazardous items on any WSTA vehicle.
16. No tampering with any equipment including but not limited to safety and emergency equipment, alarms, or control switches of any type on WSTA vehicles and facilities.
17. No damaging, defacing, destroying or vandalizing any WSTA vehicle, facility, or the personal property of another person using WSTA.
18. Passengers must follow instructions given by the transit operator or WSTA official while riding on a WSTA vehicle or present at a WSTA facility.
19. Seating at front of WSTA vehicles is reserved for elderly and/or disabled passengers. Passengers who are not elderly or disabled may be asked to move to an alternate seat to accommodate an elderly or disabled passenger.
20. Pets are not allowed on WSTA vehicles. Service animals are allowed on WSTA vehicles in compliance to ADA regulations.
21. No more than four bags and/or personal carry-on items per person. Please consolidate bags and personal carry-on items prior to boarding WSTA vehicles.
22. Passenger’s items may not block aisles or seats, take up seats or be left unattended.
23. No eating or drinking on board vehicles.
24. Passengers may not engage in disruptive behaviors.
25. Headphones are required when using cell phones and other electronic devices.